Everything you need to know when choosing waterproof vinyl flooring
Vinyl flooring has come a long way in the last several decades, and this durable, waterproof and easy to maintain engineered flooring option is among the most popular flooring choices today -- uniting homeowners, contractors and designers alike! Not only is vinyl easy to care for, but it’s simple to install, and available in nearly any design style you can imagine.
Vinyl Flooring Options – An Overview
While you will have no problem finding a vinyl flooring style that will complement any design scheme, researching the differences between the types of waterproof vinyl flooring options can be confusing. This is in part because modern vinyl can go by a variety of names for essentially the same product.
You will find vinyl flooring referred to as:
- Enhanced vinyl plank
- Rigid vinyl plank
- Engineered luxury vinyl flooring
But essentially, when selecting a vinyl flooring type, you will be making 2 choices:
- Tiles (LVT) or Planks (LVP)
- Wood Plastic Core (WPC) or Stone Plastic Composite (SPC) vinyl
Comparing The Anatomy of WPC and SPC Vinyl
All waterproof vinyl flooring is manufactured with a rigid core layer that makes the flooring waterproof – not simply water-resistant. The core layer is mounted on a base layer of cork or EVA foam and is covered by the vinyl. This vinyl layer is printed with the flooring design and is coated with a transparent “wear layer” that protects the vinyl from dents and scratches.
The materials that comprise the core layer are what categorizes this rigid core flooring as either WPC or SPC vinyl.
WPC Vinyl – Wood Plastic Composite
WPC LVT was developed to be a rigid, lightweight, floating floor platform that is completely waterproof and relatively inexpensive. The core layer is made of a natural recycled wood and plastic composite material.
- Comfort: WPC tends to offer better comfort underfoot than SPC Vinyl. It runs slightly thicker, providing extra padding between your feet and the subfloor. This extra thickness also allows for better temperature regulation and more sound absorption.
- Durability: While the vinyl layer is completely waterproof and scratch resistant, you can purchase vinyl flooring with a thicker wear layer if the flooring will be installed in a heavily trafficked area to improve durability.
- Cost: WPC tends to be the more expensive of the two options, though selecting WPC vinyl flooring that features an additional sound absorption layer or features a thicker wear layer can add to the overall cost.
SPC Vinyl – Stone Plastic Core
SPC vinyl flooring is newer to markets, offering a core layer that is composed of natural limestone, polyvinyl chloride, and stabilizers. This design results in a thinner, denser, and heavier core than WPC vinyl floors.
- Comfort: As the thinner, denser vinyl flooring option, it may be less padded underfoot. However, because of the stone core, SPC vinyl flooring is less susceptible to expansion and contraction occurring in areas that experience dramatic temperature changes.
- Durability: As SPC vinyl flooring is made up of up to 75% limestone and is denser than WPC, it may hold up better to impact from foot traffic and furniture. The denser core also makes SPC flooring more difficult to cut and, therefore, it can be more difficult to install.
- Cost: SPC vinyl has entered the markets boasting a lower price tag than the WPC options, at least for now.
Choosing Waterproof Vinyl Flooring
Both types of rigid core vinyl flooring are completely waterproof, durable, long-lasting and relatively easy to install. Waterproof vinyl flooring is a fantastic choice for any area where you anticipate potential spills or leaks – think bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, and sunrooms – and both come in a wide range of styles.
The Flooring Factory Outlet provides the Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Miami and surrounding areas with premium WPC and SPC waterproof vinyl flooring in a range of styles. Visit our showroom at 1804 Cleveland St in Hollywood, FL where our knowledgeable staff can help you find a beautiful new floor perfect for your home!